Your Type and Your Career
|Understanding your preferences as an ENTP Personality Types will make it easier to identify what is likely to feel ‘right’ for you at work and help you when you are planning a career change.
The best employment options for you will allow you to use your natural strengths and limit your exposure to tasks and situations that will drain you.
Here are some suggestions about what is likely to suit you in terms of personal strengths at work, preferred environment and your leadership style. There is also an indication of possible areas of weakness you should watch out for when you are assessing career change ideas.
Your strengths at work
- Big picture thinker
- Good at problem solving
- Analytical and conceptual skills
- Technical expertise
- Natural entrepreneur
- Regard limitations as challenges
- Come up with new approaches and systems
- Take initiative and spur others on
- Enjoy complex challenges that address future needs
Your preferred work environment
- Encourages autonomy
- Fast pace of work and change
- Contains competent people working independently
- Offers opportunities to solve complex challenges
- Flexible and demanding
- Risk taking is encouraged
- Avoids excessive bureaucracy
- Operates fair systems and standards
Your leadership style
- Enthusiastic and energising leader
- Great generator of new ideas – leaving others to attend to the detail
- Will encourage your team to work independently
- Take a logical approach to developing strategies
- Argue cogently and coherently for what you think is the right way forward
- Develop a strong network of useful contacts
- Value competence in others
Weaknesses you should watch out for
- Can struggle to work within pre-set work procedures
- May get caught up with the vision and lose sight of reality
- Can get bored with the detailed follow through stage
- Can overlook the need to appreciate others
- Need to keep an eye on the deadlines of the task in hand
- May seem unreliable due to constant shift of attention to new things
These points should help you identify if a job or an area of work is worth considering. But remember that there are successful people of ALL types in ALL jobs. Particular types may find certain areas of work especially satisfying and others more challenging.
Use your understanding of your own ENTP personality preferences to help you explore and develop your career ideas, not to limit them.
Not sure if this is you?
Then take a look at the other similar types, where only one of
the preferences is different. You may find that they are a more
Interested in personality?
If you are interested in how your personality affects your career change click here to read how your approaches to job search can be influenced by the type of person you are.