Overcoming the biggest block
Here is one recent response:
Question: ‘What is the biggest block that stops you from changing career?’
Answer: Fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of trying something new. Fear of change.
Does that ring true for you too?
The wall of fear
It seems to me that fear is an invisible wall that people build up in front of them, a wall that they invest with magical powers that make it impossible to climb, a wall that turns them away from their dreams.
Now in some ways that wall serves a purpose. On the other side is uncharted territory and who wouldn’t feel a bit nervous stepping out into something new? So it just slows you down while you take stock.
But the trouble is that only too often, it is the wall of fear itself that is feared. Fear saps your confidence so you are much less able to deal with the challenges of the unknown. That may sound a bit double Dutch, but if you had a way of managing that fear of fear, then the uncharted territory on the other side might be a little daunting, but you would approach it with a very different mindset.
So what do you do about this magical wall called fear? How do you build your confidence in your ability to deal with fear?
Creating the future on the other side.confidence to overcome the wall of fear
Here are my top 5 tips for building your fear antidote – confidence.
- Remember that confidence is not a genetic trait that you either have or do not have. Confidence is something that you can develop with practice just as you build a muscle with regular use. You just need to keep on doing things – just little ones – that stretch you a tiny bit.
- There is nothing like thorough preparation to build your confidence. Nobody would suggest you tackle career change with anything less. So get stuck in. The more homework you do, the surer you can be that you are making the right move.
- Build your skills and acknowledge the expertise you already have. There is nothing like going on a
course to learn something new and relevant to your next career to make you feel better about your chances of succeeding. But don’t become the eternal student. Take stock of the skills you already have. You already know so much more than you give yourself credit for.
- Review your past successes. I just don’t believe that you have got to this point in your life and never tried anything new, never coped with change, never stepped into the unknown, even in a small way. So stop and look back over those occasions when you have made changes. What was the outcome? It can’t have been all bad because you are still here! So go on – give yourself credit for the things you have already done and take them as evidence that you have got what it takes after all.
- Associate with positive, upbeat people. They do not have to be out and out extroverts if you are an introvert by nature, but they do need to have a positive outlook on life. If their world view is of the ‘glass half empty’ variety, then they will pull you down. If the people around you generally say, ‘why not give it a go?’ when faced with something new, that attitude will rub off on you.
So go on, here’s your first confidence building challenge. Start implementing the 5 tips above and watch how they begin to shrink the wall of fear.
It won’t go away completely, but it will certainly reduce it to a point where you can clamber over and step out into your new future on the other side.
Something to think about
“Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile… initially scared me to death.”
“Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.”
How To Glow With Confidence
Glows with Confidence Home Study Program
How to discover the secrets of building Lasting Confidence
in the comfort of your own home
The Number One issue that stops people being happy and successful in work and in life is lack of confidence.
Have you had enough of feeling anxious, fearful and lacking in confidence? Do you want to free yourself to be the person that you always dreamed you could be?
If the idea of joining a public workshop on confidence fills you with dread, then this program is just what you need.
This 6 module program is delivered to you directly at your home.
Here is some of what you will learn:
- Learn what confidence really is
- Discover how to transform your beliefs that stop you being confident
- Channel your thoughts constructively rather than nasty self-critical thoughts
- Understand your own emotional reactions and managing these
- Learn great ways to give confident first impressions
- Have practical tips dealing with others confidently
- …and much more
If this sounds like the kind of support you will need to help you get past the wall of fear I talked about in my article above, then
From the 5 Minute Career Coach September 2013